Swim Type 1: The Arnie / Arnette
Unfortunately for arnies, in swimming brute force is not an option!
Physically confident on land and used to being good at sports, Arnies often find swimming a frustrating experience.
Arnies are often very driven Type-A personalities. This brings dedication and focus which can be a real advantage but only if they learn to relax and slow things down in the short term.
Arnie Common Characteristics:
- A tendency to fight the water rather than holding it, resulting in a relatively short stroke with a fast stroke rate.
- Often complains about being out of breath and can only swim limited distances continuously.
- Lifts their head high to breathe.
- Large cross-overs at the front of the stroke and scissor kicks are common to see.
- Generally quite frustrated that they are not as proficient at swimming as in other sports. Sometime this frustration is very strong and is bubbling just below the surface!
- Finds relaxing in the water quite difficult (although they may be in denial about this) and can be seen to be holding their breath in the water rather than exhaling.
- Very poor body position due to high head position, lack of exhalation (buoyancy in the lungs), poor leg kick technique and limited core stability.
- Limited swimming experience and low enjoyment of swimming.
- Swimming speed is typically 1:45 to 2:10 per 100m.
Ladies, sorry for the masculine stereotype here. For women, being an Arnie tends to mean you are more physically confident than average and are a good sportswoman. However, in your stroke, you do struggle with the same issues as your male counterpart and our Arnie Guide will be perfect for you to improve your swimming.
Stroke Correction Guides
Our full Arnie Stroke Correction Guide includes all the analysis, drills and techniques you need to improve your stroke technique. There is nothing generic or cookie-cutter in the guide. Each method, drill and visualisation is carefully chosen to target your unique make-up. Follow each of the four included development sessions to fit these techniques into a perfect training session for you.
Supplied as a digital download straight to your computer. Find out more.
Swim Smooth’s Swim Types:
ARNIE Stroke Correction & Training Guide
Tame Your Inner Arnie!
Download our full stroke development and stroke training guide for the Arnie Swim Type
Being athletic, Arnies have great potential to become fast swimmers if they can develop a longer smoother stroke with better breathing technique.
Do You Know An Arnie?
Arnies are one of the easiest types to spot and we’re sure you know a few. Please let them know about this site! It’s often much easier to recognise traits in others than ourselves so give them a quick prompt in this direction and let us get to work on improving their swimming.